Chocolate and peanut butter, the perfect combination right? These two partner deliciously in a chocolate cupcake loaded with peanut butter buttercream and dipped in chocolate, how decadent!
CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER CUPCAKES
makes 12 cupcakes
modified from sweetapolita.com
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 large egg + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
6 tbsps cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup sour cream
2 tbsps mayonnaise
- Preheat oven to 350 F and fill cupcake pan with liners.
- In mixer beat the butter, brown sugar and vanilla on medium high speed until lighter in colour about 3 to 5 minutes. Lower the speed to medium and add the eggs mixing until fully incorporated, scraping the bowl with spatula occasionally.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl and whisk to blend together dry ingredients.
- Alternate adding dry ingredients and sour cream into the creamed mixture taking care to mix just until incorporated.
- Gently fold the mayonnaise into batter by hand.
- Evenly fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 17 minutes. Remove cupcakes from baking pan and let cupcakes cool completely on wire rack. *Taking cupcakes out of the pan should prevent moisture from developing in the liner which could cause it to separate.
PEANUT BUTTER BUTTERCREAM
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large egg whites
1/8 tsp salt
12 tbsps unsalted butter, at room temperature cut into pieces
1 cup peanut butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In bowl of stand mixer combine sugar, egg whites and salt. Set bowl over pan of simmering water and gently whisk till mixture reads 140 F on an instant read therometer.
- Transfer bowl to mixer and using whisk attachment whip on medium-high speed until glossy and fluffy about 5 minutes. Bowl should be cool to touch.
- Reduce speed to low and add in butter one piece at a time, mixing until each is incorporated. Increase speed to medium and whip till fluffy. Add in peanut butter and vanilla beating until smooth and fluffy. Place buttercream to pastry bag with plain 1/2 inch tip.
- Pipe about 1/3 cup frosting onto each cupcake. Chill cupcakes till buttercream is completely firm, about 1 hour.
8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
1 1/2 tbsps vegetable oil
- Place chocolate and oil in a medium glass measuring cup wide and deep enough to dip the cupcakes. Microwave at medium (50% power) in 30 second increments mixing until smooth and melted.
- Holding the chilled cupcakes by the bottom, carefully dip into the chocolate to coat all the buttercream. Gently pull up and let the excess chocolate drip into cup before turning cupcake upright and placing on tray to set. Refrigerate until ready to serve then let them sit at room temperature to allow the buttercream to soften.