If you like rich, dark chocolately brownies then you’re in for a treat. These seriously good brownies are gluten free since they’re made with almond flour. They’re not a cakey type of brownie, just moist yet not too dense with a delicious crusty outside … perfection. There’s no leavening agent but beating the eggs till they’re light adds the right amount of structure. Use the best cocoa powder you can find for decadent results, my favourite is Barry Callebault Extra Brute. If you don’t have any coconut oil on hand you can replace it with an equal amount of butter and vice-versa, I like adding both.
COCOA BROWNIES (gluten-free)
makes one 9″square pan
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsps vanilla extract
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 300 F and line a 9″ square pan with parchment paper leaving sides overhanging the pan. This will help remove brownies from pan later.
- Beat the eggs on medium speed in stand mixer until fluffy and light yellow.
- Add the sugars and mix and low to blend.
- Sift the cocoa powder, almond flour and salt, then add to egg mixture blending on low speed till combined.
- Add in the remaining ingredients blending just enough to combine.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake at 300 F oven for 45-55 minutes.
- Cool in pan on wire rack, then using the parchement paper sides pull out of pan and cut into 16 pieces.