My little guys surprised me this Thanksgiving dinner and tried some pumpkin pie and enjoyed it. With Halloween around the corner I searched for another pumpkin treat to test their tastebuds. These cookies look like Chocolate Chip cookies but they’re soft and full of pumpkin spice flavour. They were a hit with requests for more. There’s no egg in this recipe so these can be made vegan with a butter substitute and carob chip or raisins in place of the chocolate.
PUMPKIN CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Recipe from Sally’s Baking Addiction Blog
1/2 cup (1 stick or 115 grams) unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup (50 grams) packed brown sugar
1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 Tablespoons (86 grams) pumpkin puree
1 1/2 cups (190 grams) all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/2 cup (90 grams) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. In a medium bowl, whisk the melted butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar together until no brown sugar lumps remain. Stir in the vanilla and pumpkin until smooth. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together with a large spoon or rubber spatula. The dough will be very soft. Fold in 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips. Cover the dough and chill for 30 minutes.
3. Take the dough out of the refrigerator. Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
4. Roll the dough into balls, about 1 1/2 Tablespoons of dough each. Flatten the dough balls because the cookies will only slightly spread in the oven. Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes. The cookies will look very soft and underbaked. Keeping them in the oven for longer may dry them out.
5. Allow the cookies to cool for at least 10 minutes on the cookie sheets before transferring to a wire rack.